The Geology Department of Cotton College was established in the year 1959 as an Undergraduate Department under Gauhati University, Guwahati. Initially the Department was opened in a small outhouse belonging to Zoology Department, Cotton College. It was later shifted to the present Anthropology Department of Cotton College for a short period and was finally shifted to the first floor of the Union Hall (now called Kalaguru Bishnuprasad Rabha Prekhhagriha), Cotton College where it now occupies the entire building except the auditorium and the room of Central Facilities of Cotton College. At the initial stage, only B.Sc. (General) course was offered by this Department. In the year 1963, B.Sc. (Honours) [now called ‘Major’] course was introduced in this Department while the Department attained the Post-graduate status in the year 1986 under Gauhati University, Guwahati.
Geology department has received the financial assistance from DST, Govt. of India under its ‘Fund for Infrastructure Development in Science & Technology in Higher Educational Institution (FIST)’ programme. The department has also been receiving financial assistance from the UGC since 2009-10 under the scheme ‘Rejuvenation of Basic Scientific Research in Indian Universities/PG Colleges’.